Tuesday, February 7, 2012

What we are up to...

Well, the season is a time for writing for Sauces and I. Sauces is working on a few scripts that she really got a handle on this Fall at Playworks Ink. I wish I could say I have been as productive. I did make some progress on a new play called Little Monsters about parenting and judgement and frustrations with not being able to be the perfect parent. I have about 17-18 pages written and will keep plugging away. We decided to not enter the lottery this Fall for the 2012 Fringe because of other commitments in the Spring and early Summer so the focus for the company is on writing. We are dedicated to the idea of not declaring presentation of a work until it is ready for that, so it's a slower process than others might take. Besides Both myself and Sauces frequently have other projects on the go with other companies, so we like to wait to make sure we can dedicate our time to making the best work we can.

Speaking of other projects, I have been able to work on the development of a new play by local young playwright, Bevin Dooley, called The Playmates. It is being presented at New Works at the University of Alberta in SPS. The Festival runs 2 nights of new plays (3 per night). Our show opens tomorrow night but the whole festival kicks off tonight. I have enjoyed being the director on this new work and it has been a valuable learning experience working with Bevin and the Festival Team as a whole. Every show I work on helps me to learn new things about play construction and this is amplified when I work on a new piece of theatre that is constantly evolving. I hope you can make it out to the festival to see some of the exciting new pieces that are being presented.

- submitted by Kristen (Finally)

No comments:

Post a Comment